Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Almalfi Coast: Sorrento, Capri Island, Pompeii 8)




We arrived in Naples around 4pm on Friday. Even though Naples is probably one of the sketchiest places I have ever been it was so warm I couldn’t wait to get to the beaches in Sorrento. We took a tram ride for about 45 minutes to Sorrento; little did we know we had to get off the stop before at S. Angello because it was much closer to our hostel. Of course with my luck I was the last one in line to get off and the door closed right in front of me. Luckily some nice Italian men told me I could get off at the next sop and take the tram back in the direction I came from. The turn around was so quick I caught up with my group just as we arrived at Seven Hostel. I was relieved everyone I asked for directions were very nice. I got there before dark thankfully so panic never had a chance to set in. There were only 8 of us but the hostel employee gave us a 10 bedroom to our selves. I was shocked when I saw what we were walking in to. First of all the downstairs had a terrace with outdoor couches and tables to hang out and have drinks or just relax. Then we walked up to the second level which balconied to the terrace to our room, the SUGAR suite. The room was huge and according to Claire “temperputic beds.” At this point I was starving. I hadn’t really planned well and only ate breakfast at 8am and had nothing since then. We ate dinner in the terrace. I ordered Fettuccine Alfredo. Although the portions were small it hit the spot. After dinner we attempted to get our favorite Italian desert, gelato. However it was closed by the time we got to the gelateria so we waked to the nearby supermarcato and I got a pack of Stella’s, my new favorite beer. We took them back to our hostel. Oh yeah I forgot to say how we have a huge rooftop with lounge chairs that are lit up at night. We brought our blankets and beers to the roof and lay there enjoying the view of Sorrento at night. It was very relaxing after traveling all day.
We woke up early and could not wait to get outside in the sunny weather! I put on shorts yes SHORTS finally, a t-shirt, flip flops and of course my new Fedora, which by the way im obsessed with. We hit up the free breakfast, the usual croissant, cereal, and makeshift orange juice and got on our way. We walked along the water to the heart of Sorrento. Along the way grabbing a few oranges off the hundreds of orange and lemon trees we passed along the way. I could not believe the color of the water, it was the most gorgeous blue/teal water I have ever seen. After about a half hour of walking we found the most amazing kiwi gelato I have ever had. I got half kiwi half strawberry. YUMM ☺!! We walked around the shops in Sorrento then walked down the harbor where a bunch of boats were docked and the beaches. We took a ferry over to the island of Capri. I sat there with the biggest smile on my face. I couldn’t be happier to be on the water. It took about 20 minutes to get to Capri; at this point I didn’t even want to get off, until I saw the beauty of Capri. It was a gorgeous Island. Once we got off we sat down under the sun and enjoyed a Margarita Pizza and a tasty Peroni. We walked into a sandal maker shop, which was pretty cool. They made sandals to form to your feet. Then we walked along the beach till we reached sfskdjdj with huge boulders. We climbed up them and laid out for while soaking up the sun, I even passed out for a little while. It was so relaxing to just lay with the water crashing next to me and the warmth of the sun, I could have laid there all day. As I got up to get off the rock my sunglasses that were hanging in my shirt fell in between the rocks and out of sight. My first reaction was “BYE SUNGLASSS!!” then I looked down and saw a beer bottle and thought to myself maybe if I get them back. I lowered myself in between the huge rocks and squatted down and after a few attempts was able to reach my sunglasses, but before I did Bama yelled, “watch out for the SCORPIANS!” I laughed it off not thinking it was a big deal until when we got back to the hostel and Greg told us about how we saw a scorpion earlier. I was glad I didn’t see any other wise I might have had a heart attack. We took the Ferry back after a few hours in Capri. By this point all the walking and sun had exhausted me. We took our time walking back to the hostel, letting my surroundings soak in. I wish we could be here for longer it was such a nice change of pace. The most relaxing and warmest weather I’ve experienced since I have been in Europe. We ate another delicious meal the hostel and got drinks and hung out at the bar where there was live music and a bunch of people. After a little while we went back to the room where Greg got everyone hooked on Chess leading to game after game the rest of the night. Before going to bed we went up to the roof again and finished our beers, and in Greg’s and Meeks case their 5-liter Jug.
We woke up fairly early on Sunday. Unfortunately daylight savings just started in Europe so we lost an hour of precious sleep. We packed up our stuff and disposed of the many wine/beer bottles all over the room and were on our way. We decided to stop at Pompeii on the way home and I’m glad we did. It was Sunny and 70 degrees, who wouldn’t want to walk around and look at ruins? To my surprise they were much more interesting then I imagined. I took a booklet that explained each part and preened to be our tour guide for the group. It was fun and I actually learned what the remains from the volcanic eruption once were. My favorite part had to have been the large amphitheatre. I couldn’t believe how large it was and how much of it was still standing. Greg and Cham snuck in the stands part and climbed the top. Then they logged rolled the bottom. I was laughing so hard because they both rolled into the same ditch right after each other. As we walked around through the ruins on huge rocks there were a couple dogs (Carnes) following us around. Apparently Pompeii takes in theses stray dogs and people that come and visit the excavations site can adopt them. If Greg had a choice I’m sure he would have brought one back to Lugano with us. We spent about 3 hours before heading to Naples to catch our train. I stopped for some Pizza (of course because it originated in Naples) before getting on the train. Me and Steph played our first real game of Chess without any help then passed out till we got to Milan then finally Lugano. This weekend was so nice and relaxing, and I even got a little tan along the way. Now I just have to get through 4 more days of class, thank God for Migros Mondays!

No comments:

Post a Comment